Sunday, October 20, 2013

Menu Monday #7-food for the week and for the freezer



There's a chill in the air and my menu looks like fall this week!

Pork Chops and Oven Roasted Cabbage- if you've all but given up on pork chops, I urge you to try cooking them this way. Over the past 7 years I have prepared many mediocre pork chops...until I discovered this magical method. Its super simple too--

You'll need:
3-4 boneless center cut pork chops
1 head of cabbage
1 medium onion (I use Spanish, but whatever)
olive oil
salt and pepper
Creole Seasoning (I use Tony Chachere)

Preheat to 350, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil with plenty of overhang. Sprinkle Creole Seasoning over both sides of pork chops, set aside. Chop Cabbage into 6-8 chunks or wedges, discard outer leaves and core. Coarsly chop onion. Place cabbage, onion and pork on aluminum foil in center of pan, tucking pork in among cabbage chunks. drizzle all with olive oil, add salt, pepper and more creole saesoning over the top. Place a second sheet of aluminum foil loosely over top and seal edges all the way around. You will have a foil packet that should allow for some airspace. 

Pop in the oven for 1 hour, let rest for 5 minutes before opening foil then serve. I make macaroni and cheese with this and its just perfect. 

So easy and yummy, you'll find yourself loving pork chops from now on. 


Corn Chowder-freeze half of this to eat again later.I used this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. I added plenty of salt and pepper and a few shakes of Tony's. I did not do the bread bowls, but made cheese biscuits. I also used frozen corn, although I want to remember to make this next summer for freezing when it's peak corn season. It was great and even better on day 2.

Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce--remember how I told you I was trying to embrace fall in this post? I've not yet tried this, so here goes nothing!

Beef and Cheddar Casserole--I'm using this recipe, but making it in two 8x8 pyrex dishes. Making one to serve and one to freeze.

Chili-Here's how I make my chili. For us its enough to eat for dinner, have leftovers for lunches and freeze two more portions that will be dinners in upcoming weeks.
In a a large pot-brown meat with a dash of olive oil and garlic salt then add onion and leave it for a few minutes. 
1 pound ground beef (venison, turkey, chicken-whatever)
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil
garlic salt
Then add:
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
2 cans chili beans
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans black beans (I always get reduced sodium)
**i have been known to add an extra can of beans here or there if I have them, but this is the usual. This part is all up to you**

1 bag Carroll Shelby Chili Seasoning. I only  use the big packet, not the extra cayenne, masa or salt.
Stir. Cover. Cook at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours on LOW. Bust up the tomatoes with your stirring spoon if they don't burst on their own.

I usually make mine by lunchtime to serve that day. The longer it sits, the better it gets. (up to a point, of course. Don't give yourself food poison or anything...)

Okay, so we've cooked 5 meals, and have a total of 9 dinners plus some lunches to show for it. That's a win in my book!

That's what I'm cooking this week, plus some fall treats.


Oh, and I did just receive this little baby (actually 2). Be prepared for some homemade doughnut magic soon!


What's for dinner at your house?









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pork chop recipe! I think I may give that one a whirl pretty soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete